Re: lynx-dev internationalization

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev internationalization
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 11:30:12 +0300 (MSK)

>> > Does this looks useful to change XXX_TITLE to open text string?
>>
>> #define LYNX_TRACELOG_TITLE gettext("Lynx Trace Log")

> that's what I'm doing.

>> rather than the present ``#define LYNX_TRACELOG_TITLE "Lynx Trace Log"''?
>> Wouldn't such an approach, if it's possible at all, also aid in with
>> backward compatibility?

>>                                                     ^^
>> I suspect Jim used a script to edit the source files so this kind of
>> error popped up.  The "", i.e., nothing, string is reserved for required

> or else he used a global substitution.  I did notice some of those
> (and repaired them).

I wonder, why not to insert gettext() in every message in LYMessages.en.h
with the renaming file to LYMessages.h at the initial stage without global
expanding of messages back to the C source, it was more maintainable at least.

Except LYMessages there are only a few "internal pages" like Print or Cookie,
which (probably) need a translation.