Re: lynx-dev internationalization

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev internationalization
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 22:28:18 -0500 (EST)

> me: > >> #define LYNX_TRACELOG_TITLE gettext("Lynx Trace Log")
> >
> Tom: > > that's what I'm doing.
> [...]
> Leonid: > I wonder, why not to insert gettext() in every message in
> LYMessages.en.h
> > with the renaming file to LYMessages.h at the initial stage without global
> > expanding of messages back to the C source, it was more maintainable at
> > least.
>
> Again, no expert here, but strings used once only would seem to me to be
> best handled by hard-coding the gettext() where it's used that one time,
> whereas those used many times, and likely to be used in future additions,
> would best be handled with a define in "LYMessages.h".  It is easy to see
> which strings are used once, and which are used many times, and where they
> are used by examining the lynx.pot file.

partly - but there's a lot of trash that has to be filtered out where we
have strings embedded in HTML.  (I'd rather not embed HTML in the gettext
strings since that leads to interesting problems maintaining the program).

there's a good reason to retain the #define's (I believe LP noticed it too).
If you don't, and one of the hardcoded strings is a little different, some
places in the code won't work anymore because we do comparisons on the
titles and form values.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden