lynx-dev Why doesn't lynx cache HTML source?

From: Chuck Martin
Subject: lynx-dev Why doesn't lynx cache HTML source?
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 00:22:48 -0500

Sometimes I want to view the HTML source of a document using the "\"
key, and then switch back to the rendered document when I'm through,
or I want to switch all images to links and back again, using the "*"
key, or maybe I want to turn pseudo-ALTs on or off, but every time I
make a switch in how I view a document, the whole document has to be
downloaded again.  Is there a reason why it was done this way?  It
seems to me that caching the HTML source instead of the rendered
document would make more sense, and would save time when making these
changes on the fly.  Of course, moving between cached documents might
be a little slower unless they were cached both ways (source and
rendered), but not by much, and rendering a cached document would be
much faster than downloading it repeatedly.  Could someone enlighten
me?

Chuck