Re: lynx-dev Why doesn't lynx cache HTML source?

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Why doesn't lynx cache HTML source?
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 18:33:10 +0300 (MSK)

>> There is a special case I run into: certain documents or hosts set
>> "no-cache" or "expire=...1970" directive and the document doesn't cached
>> by squid. So for theese documents I see re-downloading over the working proxy
>> when I press any key below.

> And if lynx doesn't do the same then it would be a bad citizen of the net,
> and perhaps violating http protocol as well...

> Larry W. Virden                 INET: address@hidden

There are two different layers: HTTP rendering over the net
and lynx internal HTML parsing mechanism -
so the re-parsing for different config state
(say, verbose images or not) should be done "off-line"
(presently it's a lynx fault but nobody want to contribute the code).
Breafly speaking, we discuss a "one document cache",
for a single text/plain or text/html file(*)
since we have no true frames nor true images.

Another story for history stack - moving to previously visited document,
not the current one - you may need to reload the document over the net
in certain cases according to HTTP 1.1 spec.

(*) while in partial_display mode we got rendering on the fly,
file can only be closed when the transfer complete.
robably we should not store it in a file but memory allocation only.

Leonid.