Re: lynx-dev Why doesn't lynx cache HTML source?

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Why doesn't lynx cache HTML source?
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 17:47:38 -0800

Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> > Even the simple 1-document cache has to interact with some caching

> Really? Doesn't it enough to introduce one global flag in mainloop -
> "reload internally" vs "reload as usual"?

The problem is deciding what value to give that flag!  For instance,
what should Lynx do if you read a document which expires in 5 hours,
then walk away, come back 6 hours later, and ask for it to render
differently?  This is not the same as a document which was set to expire
immediately -- Lynx *has* to assume that such a document is going to be
stale some of the time, and let you do what you want.  But if it wasn't
stale and now it is, maybe it should reload it.  Or maybe not.  That has
to be determined.

> > rules.  There have been bugs in the past relating to Lynx's current
> > 1-document-in-1-rendering "cache", which is just about as simple as it
> > can possibly get.
>
> 1-document cache may be a first shoot:
> probably kludge it to incoming socket stream
> and check the cache somewhere before DNS search -
> this is not the best way for speed (to use a complete internal circle
> instead of Klaus's "internal link") but easy and clear.

That might be OK.  I would prefer to see a full-blown implementation at
the start, mainly because I think if we get the 1-document cache going,
nobody will ever bother to do the full one...