lynx-dev Re: lynx2.8.2dev.2

From: Louis-David Mitterrand
Subject: lynx-dev Re: lynx2.8.2dev.2
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 09:12:43 +0100

On Tue, Nov 10, 1998 at 09:28:35PM -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
> 981111 Leonid Pauzner wrote:
> > french "po" file say something like
> >   msgid "NeXT character set  "
> >   msgstr "Jeu de car. NeXT    "
> > which obviously wrong for several reasons:
> > 1. trailing spaces not allowed,
> > 2. should be inserted only in option menu
> > but not in LYCharSets.c/UCDomap.c/LYRCFile.c
> > to avoid compatibility problems with .lynxrc/lynx.cfg
>
> and 3. because `Jeu de car' isn't French, let alone a translation
> (unless it's some sort of jargon or slang);
> `jeu de cartes' = `card game' (eg bridge), `jeu de mots' = `pun'.
> i haven't been following this thread at all,
> but do know something about some (human) languages, incl French:
> where are you getting the translations from ... ?

"Jeu de car." is correct and is not slang or jargon. In this case "jeu"
means a set which makes a complete collection and can be treated as a
whole.

Example: jeu de clefs = set of keys

--
Louis-David Mitterrand - address@hidden - http://www.aparima.com

Bill Gates to his broker: "You idiot, I said $150 million on **SNAPPLE**!!!"