Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.2

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.2
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 05:29:18 -0500 (EST)

> > don't work.  So I don't see how to build it without the GNU gettext stuff.
> > (And building _that_, I found one syntax error ;-).
>
> I think that's what I've been trying to say all along.  Bite the bullet
> and use GNU make once, and then you'll be through with it.

not GNU make. That was a trivial problem.  The syntax error was in the
gettext source, where it referred to an undefined variable without properly
guarding against that.

The only makefile problems I ran into were things like the implementor's
having constructed the makefile so that it would delete lynx.pot if it was
not configured to use the GNU xgettext program.

> > > If this is the case, developers may have to come up with different
> > > wording for strings to make them unique.
> >
> > yes - that's a weakness of xgettext.
>
> I was hoping my understanding was _in_correct.  Oh, well, cannot have
> everything, I guess. :(  I still think it's an improvement over the
> include file, though.

the other "standard" alternative appears to be catgets, which relies upon
unique message identifiers (numbers).  From the (biased) descriptions I've
read, maintaining the numbers sounds like a labor-intensive activity.

-- It's a shame that the GNU gettext isn't compatible with Solaris' version.
   They imply that it is, but when I _did_ build Lynx with Solaris' library
   and tried to run it against the message libraries I'd compiled with
   the GNU gettext, Lynx dumped core in the first call on gettext.

   (I'll revisit this, but it sounds like the file formats aren't compatible).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden