Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx2.8.2dev.2

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: lynx2.8.2dev.2
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 05:59:36 -0500 (EST)

981111 Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 1998 at 09:28:35PM -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
>> and 3. because `Jeu de car' isn't French, let alone a translation
>> (unless it's some sort of jargon or slang);
>> `jeu de cartes' = `card game' (eg bridge), `jeu de mots' = `pun'.
>> i haven't been following this thread at all,
>> but do know something about some (human) languages, incl French:
>> where are you getting the translations from ... ?
> "Jeu de car." is correct and is not slang or jargon.
> In this case "jeu" means a set which makes a complete collection
> and can be treated as a whole.  Example: jeu de clefs = set of keys

i certainly can't argue, but the `.' after `car' didn't occur
in LP's original message: `car' is a conjunction, but never a noun;
also, i did check my big Cassells dictionary & found
`jeu d'echecs', `jeu de quilles', `jeux d'orgue' & `jeu de voiles',
all of which seemed idioms from playing or sailing.
there have been cases in the past of very bad WWW machine translations.