Re: Re: lynx-dev Building Problem with Lynx2.8.1 October 24 release

From: Alois Maier
Subject: Re: Re: lynx-dev Building Problem with Lynx2.8.1 October 24 release
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 07:00:59 -0800 (PST)

>> While building Lynx 2.8.1, the following problem occurred:
>> The makefile for the src/chrtrans directory generated by configure
does
>> not honor the setting of LIBS environment variable. As a
consequence, (on
>> this particular host) linking of makeuctb fails.

> oh.  I hadn't thought makeutcb would be a problem since it uses no
math,
> and uses only the standard C library.  What sort of platform is this?

It´s AIX 4.3.2
Setting LIBS is required because of unusual library locations.
configure ignores LIBS when generating the chrtrans makefile and the
generated makefile ignores the LIBS environment variable either.
Consequently, the linker uses the wrong library when trying to link
makeutcb and linking fails.
( Comments in other makefiles show that similiar things happen in other
makefiles with other environment variables ).