Re: lynx-dev problems building lynx 2.8.1dev.2

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev problems building lynx 2.8.1dev.2
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:46:41 +0900 (JST)

> did you install the GNU gettext?  (That message isn't from the GNU
> version)
>
> also - add the "--with-included-gettext" option.

Since I haven't worked on Solaris yet, I should probably shut up,
but my gut feeling is that since you have the GNU gettext package
installed, you should use it, and not the one included with Lynx
(which personally I could never get to work), i.e., don't use the
"--with-included-gettext" option.

> > export LIBS=" -L/ldatae/lib -R/ldatae/lib -lz
> > -L/projects/gnu/sparc-sun-solaris2 .6/lib
> > -R/projects/gnu/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/lib -lncurses "

If you go the route I suggest, then you need to add "-lintl" here,

> > export CPPFLAGS="-I/ldatae/include
> > -I/projects/gnu/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/include"

and the location of the header files for intl here.

> > /projects/gnu/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/bin/msgfmt -o it.mo it.po
> > it.po:242: `msgid' and `msgstr' entries do not both end with '\n'
> > found 1 fatal errors
> >
> > Can someone help me fix this?

Yeah, don't bother with building binaries against language catalogues
you're never going to use.  First skip the entire build in the /po
directory and see if you get a working Lynx.  (I assume you want Lynx
more than a Barbie doll that speaks Italian.)  Then make a FRESH *.po
file for the language you want or need.  (NONE of the po files in the
prototype Jim got together are viable with the current release of Lynx.
Why people insist on using them is beyond me. -- the one for French is
useful as a source of translations, of course)  Compile the file you
translated (or files if you speak numerous languages) using the msgfmt
that you installed with the GNU gettext package (I suggest using -v).
Aim Lynx to where you installed the *.mo file.  I recommend using
environment variables for that.

Since the VAST majority of Lynx users will be happy with an English
version, I can't fathom why anyone would want to waste CPU time fiddling
around with the installation and maintenance of NLS when it can easily
be done separate from Lynx.  (CPU= Computer, People, Users).

__Henry