Re: lynx-dev A question about downloading in lynx....

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev A question about downloading in lynx....
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 19:25:49 -0500 (EST)

> Don't some weird systems move by copying & deleting ? This happens anyway
> when
> you move between filesystems (though they probably won't share quota).

most unix ones do moves within the same filesystem by hardlinks - but
of course moves across filesystems require coping.

(VMS has an analogous concept to hardlinking, since files are entered
into directory files - but doesn't exploit it).

Someone on this list mentioned that win32 can rename across filesystems;
I see that POSIX permits that.  (But it would require copying at some
level - right?).

>  >> Anyway, I wonder if many mailers allow you to send a stream of incoming
> data
>  >> rather than a complete existing local file (any expert opinion ?). In
> addition
>  >
>  >  mutt and elm do, as well as the various mail/mailx/etc.  I guess pine
> does.
>  >  any others (unix of course)?
>
> I knew about piping to mail/mailx/mutt (unix of course ...), but my question
> was about, e.g.:
>
> % cat bin.data | mutt -a -
> -: unable to attach file.
>
> Thought I could be too lazy to add another pipe, for uuencode'ing :-)
I guess so - I mostly pipe whole files at mailers to send people directory
listings and stuff like that where I don't need to combine things.

>  >  you can uuencode to standard output. wouldn't take much of a script
>  >  to pick up a file, prepend some descriptive text and pipe the whole
> Sure, no problem for me either, but on the system I know.
>  >  to the mailer w/o any temporary files.
> I would not have bet, since I even managed to fill a filesystem using a named
> pipe (though not the one the pipe was on; don't know enough about how those
> beings are actually implemented). My advice in the present case, after
> mailing
> myself an 9MB file for fun: use mail/mailx for that kind of joke ...
>
> % uuencode USER_GDE.PS2 USER_GDE.PS2 | wc -c
>   12285521
> % uuencode USER_GDE.PS2 USER_GDE.PS2 | mutt munhoven
> [and keep an eye on /tmp; that's why 9MB; keep it buzy a moment]
> % ls -l /tmp
> -rw-------   1 munhoven system   12285521 Nov 12 23:56 mutt-cezanne-16633-0
> -rw-------   1 munhoven system   12285787 Nov 12 23:56 mutt-cezanne-16633-1
> -rw-------   1 munhoven system   12285521 Nov 12 23:56 mutt-cezanne-16633-2

ugh.  There's no good reason for uuencode to buffer via a file, since
it doesn't require multiple passes.

> Oops. With another file of similar size in /var/spool/mqueue, but that one
> belongs to root :-)
( that's root's quota ;-)

> In any case will the file be completely downloaded before being eventually
> piped to mail. lynx is simply not the most appropriate tool to solve the
> problem described. Perhaps rather:
yes - Lynx downloads the file completely before doing anything with it.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden