Re: lynx-dev protection 444 for fr.po

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev protection 444 for fr.po
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 11:26:18 +0900 (JST)

> > > checked-in -- I expect there'll be more than one patch to fr.po, and
> >
> > I should certainly hope not to the one in the Lynx distribution.
>
> actually yes.  There shouldn't be any html in the msgid's.  It'll just
> create a lot of maintenance problems.  I reorganized a fair number of
> the strings in the C code to work around this, but there's more.  It

I still don't understand why you feel the need to maintain fr.po unless
you just enjoy doing it.  Anyway, I assume you know about the -j option
to xgettext.  It would also make the file a bit smaller if you'd use
the --no-location option.  Since you plan on supporting the build in
/po, you might consider adding the --no-location option as a default.

I did find that I lost about half of the 400+ translated strings I had
done on Jim's code set when I updated to dev2.  I hope to be able to
salvage them, but it might mean hand editing.  (Moan.)  If I figure out
what triggered the loss, I'll let you know.  I hadn't worked on any
strings with html tags in them, so that wasn't it.  Did you switch
locations of "%s" or "%d" in places?  There were a few strings with
trailing white space.  Are these all going to be revised to strip it
off?  (If so, I'll put off translating those, too.)

__Henry