Re: lynx-dev problems building lynx 2.8.1dev.2

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev problems building lynx 2.8.1dev.2
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 22:11:23 -0500 (EST)

> Amazingly enough address@hidden said:
> > I intend making it an add-on, so the configure script will be able to
> > first check if the directories are there before doing anything with them,
> > and further, to make it pick up the list of .po files so we don't have
> > to embed that in the sources.
>

> Out of curiosity, any clue how this will be done?

automatically - check for directory existence.  I do this in ncurses
for the Ada95 and c++ directories.  I did a part of this in the lynx
script this week while trying to get the Solaris gettext stuff to work.
It just isn't noticeable - but look at the @INTLDIR_MAKE@ substitutions
in makefile.in, for example.

> The only package I know of that uses configure and add-ons is egcs, and the
> command line switch to configure is "--enable-add-ons=item1,item2,...,itemN"
>
> Is the "--enable-add-ons" a standard configure thing or just an egcs thing?
>
> If not a standard configure thing, what do other packages do?

different packages do different things.  I don't know that there's a
standard - just different groups of people develop their own conventions.

(I'm aware that ncurses is bundled as an add-on to glibc2, though the
mechanism looks rather complex to me).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden