Re: lynx-dev strange interaction with gettext/anonymous/gz

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev strange interaction with gettext/anonymous/gz
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 11:14:12 -0500 (EST)

> Compiled Lynx 2.8.2dev.2 on SunOS5.6 (Solaris 2.6)/slang1.0.3/gcc2.7.2.3.
> Used the GNU libintl.a.
>
> So far Lynx seems to run fine in regular shell accounts with LANG set
> at japanese.  However, in a captive account, if I hit return on a gzipped
> file (extension .gz) Lynx freezes (=key input is not recognized other
> than ^C).  When the anonymous account's LANG is set to english, the
> problem does not occur, i.e., as with regular accounts, the file is
> uncompressed and then displayed.  I have no way to test this on the
> SunOS4.1.3 environment I've been accessing up to now wrt gettext.
I guess I understand about half of this: the other parts missing are

        + is this 16-bit or 8-bit characters?

        + what type of library (slang/ncurses/curses)

        + what type of terminal emulator

I assume it's locking up either because there's something like an XOFF
getting sent, or because the screen library is looking for the end of an
escape-sequence.  (Someone indicated that there's a bug in slang which
makes it not pay attention to timeouts in reading escape sequences).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden