Re: lynx-dev Why doesn't lynx cache HTML source?

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Why doesn't lynx cache HTML source?
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 08:41:18 -0800 (PST)

> From address@hidden Sun Nov 15 23:52:07 1998
> From: David Woolley <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: lynx-dev Why doesn't lynx cache HTML source?
>
> > >Pages are becoming uncacheable either because they are dynamically
> > >generated or because uncacheability is forced in order to give the
> >
> > Why does dynamic generation make a page uncacheable?
>
> This was written in the context of someone talking about following the
> formal HTTP caching rules.  Dynamic pages can be made cacheable but that
> requires a positive effort by their authors and is often contrary to the
> (often commercial) reasons why they were made uncacheable.
>
> For a page to be cacheable by current generation caches it needs to have
> either explicit expiry date information or a Last-Modified header.  Some
> caches may insist on it having a length as well.  Dynamically generated
> pages normally have neither although it is possible to set them.  In this
> case, the cache needs to reverify the page every time, but there is

For my own purposes (speed at any cost), "to hell with doing it 'right',
just DO it'" instructions to the caching mechanism would be fine.

Half the time I am just backing up THROUGH something, not even reading
(via my eyes) anything on the page, just backing up to the prior one.

I DON'T CARE whether that page is in-sync or not.  If I worry
about a given page, I can just do a ^C, and get a "fresher" copy.