Re: lynx-dev 2.8.1rel.2 patches

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 2.8.1rel.2 patches
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 22:35:50 +0300 (MSK)

> On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

>> >  I have just re-subscribed to the list, after some time away..
>> > I see lynx dev is alive and well, and has made progress, in spite of the
>> > somewhat (hmm...) messy code I left behind. (Sorry Leonid and others..
>> > it probably wasn't much fun cleaning up the chartrans stuff.)
>>
>> Hello Klaus!
>> I want to add internal cache for html sources in Lynx,
>> will explain my point of view in a separate message,
>> currently I am not sure where the stream should be redirected
>> and a little lost with anchor structure survey,
>> so you help appreciated.

> Ok, I will look at that discussion.

"Why doesn't lynx cache HTML sources" - is a talk, and
"lynx internal cache proposal" assume more positive efforts.

Currently I think cache should be checked in HTLoadDocument() or HTLoad(),
than in HTLoadHTTP() we try If-Modified_Since and update cached header
from (any) responce, and the last step -
update cached data in LYAddVisitedLink() when everything done OK.
Anyway,
we should kludge into HTStream properly...
and the Anchor structure should be coupled with cached source
when doing HTuncache_current_document() for rendered image.

>> > +     int charset_out = -1;
>>                        ^^^^^
>>                        Why not   = UCGetLYhndl_byMIME("us-ascii"); ?
>>                        I was trying hard to eliminate -1 where possible.

> Just to avoid calling it when it's not needed.  The -1 is used only as a
> flag locally.  But if you want to change it, no problem.

By introducing a simple invariant
"current_char_set and UCLYhndl_for_unspec always valid"
I wipe lots of  if (hndl>= 0)  and made the code more understandable :-)