http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month1198/msg00454.html

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month1198/msg00454.html
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 09:56:28 -0500 (EST)

>     * Subject: Re: lynx-dev strange interaction with
>       gettext/anonymous/gz
>     * From: address@hidden
>     * Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 08:08:42 -0500 (EST)
>       "Klaus Weide <address@hidden>" at Nov 18, 98 04:34:47 am
>> Well, I haven't even looked at the dev.n code yet; but since there aren't
>> many alternatives AFAIK, and gettext seems to be the GNU way, in principle
>> I'm all for it.  I just prefer to look at other things now, and leave the
>> gettext stuff to those already more familiar with it.  As long as I don't
>> introduce or change user-visible strings, there shouldn't be a problem,
>> right?
>right.  At some point (after Thanksgiving) I'll work on moving some of the
>repeated strings into LYMessages_en.h (besides the maintenance issues,
>reducing the number of files with strings may make this work with Solaris'
>gettext - that's one of the problems).

I was working hard to remove the "en" file beacuse I thought
it conflicted with the operation of gettext, in that identical
messages map to a single catalog entry, and therefore to
a single translation (per language). Using macros may save some space in
the source code, but I felt it was more useful to see the full messages
in context of the code when doing translation work.

(I'm back, too.)