Re: lynx-dev thoughts on cookie file w/multiple sessions

From: brian j. pardy
Subject: Re: lynx-dev thoughts on cookie file w/multiple sessions
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 08:56:03 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> > As things are presently:
>
> >     Two sessions, A and B are running. Both load the same set of cookies
> >     from COOKIE_FILE.
>
> >     Session A gets a new cookie from some site, then exits, writing all
> >     the original cookies and the new cookie to COOKIE_FILE.
>
> >     Session B quits, overwriting COOKIE_FILE with all the original
> >     cookies, but blowing away the new cookie that session A received.
>
> > So here's my thought -- prior to writing cookies in memory to COOKIE_FILE,
> > Lynx should *reread* COOKIE_FILE, ignoring any cookies that are already in
> > memory, but adding cookies from the file that are not in memory.
>
> > The only thing coming to mind so far that could be a problem here would be
> > getting two cookies with the same 'name' attribute from a server in two
> > different sessions (two unique identifiers from advertising sites?), in
> > which case the one which is written to COOKIE_FILE first (thus read into
> > memory in the other Lynx session, overwriting the existing one) will be
> > maintained, and the others dropped.
>
> Remote server may change cookie expiration date,
> which date should be correct from session A or from session B?

With the way I have things up there, whichever copy of Lynx is exited first
will be the session with the cookie that is saved.

So it's pretty much an even shot either way. I don't like this, and can't
really think of a way to do handle this without (for example) timestamping
individual cookies (possibly with comments in the cookie file?).

The more I think about it, the more appealing a directory to store cookies
sounds.

--
GPG & PGP public keys: <URL:http://www.psnw.com/~posterkid/keys/>
PGP fingerprint: 42 57 B3 D2 39 8E 74 C3  5E 4D AC 43 25 D2 26 D4