Re: lynx-dev NLS tweaks for 282dev4

From: brian j. pardy
Subject: Re: lynx-dev NLS tweaks for 282dev4
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 23:14:26 -0800

Nelson Henry Eric wrote:
> It's not just served files, but also files on the localhost that I'm
> interested in.  But to give an example, my own http server gives the
> following header (analogous to what I have for gzip), but admittedly
> I'm pretty stupid when it comes to knowing about headers and such.
>
> HTTP/1.0 200 Document follows
> Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:42:59 GMT
> Server: NCSA/1.5.2
> Last-modified: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:38:36 GMT
>
> This is for the latest update to the ja.po I did this lunch hour:
>  <http://163.51.110.11/lynxdev/docs/ja.po.bz2>.
>
>      My mime.types entries are:
> application/bzip2                 bz2
> application/x-bzip2               bz2
>      and my mailcap entries are:
> application/bzip2; /usr/local/bin/bzip2 -d %s
> application/x-bzip2; /usr/local/bin/bzip2 -d %s
> (the path is correct)
>
> I'm sure I've got it wrong, but I just can't figure out where.

It looks (after a quick look) to me that Lynx is doing internal
decompression of .gz files, regardless of what mailcap says. Lynx doesn't
internally grok bz2, and thus seems to hand off files that don't end in
.Z or .gz to an external viewer, without re-rendering their output? Is
that what's happening?

I surely don't understand this part either...

--
"I want to know God's thoughts... the rest are details."
                                - Albert Einstein