Re: lynx-dev Improper ~/ expansion in file://

From: Ryan Hung
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Improper ~/ expansion in file://
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 11:18:47 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Klaus Weide wrote:
> It may or may not work, but that seems to be just fiddling around with
> the symptoms.  And I hope you would then carefully examine all places
> where LYTrimRelFromAbsPath() gets called, and check whether your change
> is always appropriate (and for all operating systems!).  The problem
> should be solved where it is generated, which is where the /~ is replaced
> by something else.

Hmm, I see.  But where would "//" in a real pathname be appropriate?

> > Yeah, that's what %p in lynx.cfg should be doing, giving the path.  It's
> > just that it gives the wrong path, "/username" rather than
> > "/home/username".
>
> Only if you had something like
>
>   DIRED_MENU:FILE::Modify
> Permissions::LYNXDIRED://PERMIT_SRCfile://localhost%p
>
> in your lynx.cfg could such a thing be generated.  I can't think of any
> reason to do that. :)

No, that's the thing.  It returns "%p" as "/username", even with
LYNXDIRED://PERMIT_SRC%p.

> Even in that case, the part after "file://localhost" would _still_ be
> a file path and not an URL path.  Which makes a difference when you
> think of '%'-escaping, and possibly for other reasons.  So there _still_
> is no reason to use HTfullURL_toFile().

Hmm.  To clarify, what I'm getting with 2.8.2.dev.4 is that retrieving
"file://localhost/~" or "file://localhost/~/" gets the correct home
directory.  However, the directory is listed as "/username" rather than
"/home/username".  When one does an "=" to look at the links there, the
full path of the current page is listed as "//home/username".

                                                Ryan.

 \_Apoptosis=programmed cell death/  \__/  address@hidden/  \__
_/ --you can't live without it!/  \__/  \http://www.vcn.bc.ca/people/rhung
 \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \My words Copyright (C) 1998  \__