lynx-dev Do we need different strings per default [Y]

From: Al Gilman
Subject: lynx-dev Do we need different strings per default [Y]
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 16:27:33 -0500 (EST)

>     * Subject: lynx-dev Do we need [Y] AND [N] strings? Could they be
>       [Y/N]?
>     * From: Nelson Henry Eric <address@hidden>
>     * Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 17:22:34 +0900 (JST)
>     _________________________________________________________________
>
>There are a few messages that, while they do have a reason for
>being separate, could function just as well if joined.  The
>ones that come to mind are pairs like:
>        Really exit from Lynx? [Y]
>        Really exit from Lynx? [N]
>Would there be a significant problem if in both situations
>        Really exit from Lynx? [Y/N]
>were used?

There is a significant loss of information.  The content of the
[] is customarily the default you will get if you simply hit
<ENTER>.  Given that this is the tradition of command-line
dialogs, it is dangerous to give users a

        Really exit? [Y/N]

prompt _if_ there _is_ a default that will happen for a string
other than Y*, y*, N*, or n*.  The [Y/N] cue should only be
used for situations where a clear Yes or No response is required
and there is no default bound to <ENTER> or <spacebar>.

Or, in the old days that's what it used to mean, if I can remember.

Al