Re: lynx-dev Do we need different strings per default [Y]

From: brian j. pardy
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Do we need different strings per default [Y]
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 14:14:02 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 20 Nov 1998, Al Gilman wrote:

> There is a significant loss of information.  The content of the
> [] is customarily the default you will get if you simply hit
> <ENTER>.  Given that this is the tradition of command-line
> dialogs, it is dangerous to give users a
>
>       Really exit? [Y/N]
>
> prompt _if_ there _is_ a default that will happen for a string
> other than Y*, y*, N*, or n*.  The [Y/N] cue should only be
> used for situations where a clear Yes or No response is required
> and there is no default bound to <ENTER> or <spacebar>.
>
> Or, in the old days that's what it used to mean, if I can remember.

How about having "Really exit?" as a gettext()'able string, with the
function asking for user input appending '[Y/n]' or '[y/N]' as the
case may be, with the capitalized letter being the default?

(And possibly localizing {y,n}, if it needs to go that far...)

--
GPG & PGP public keys: <URL:http://www.psnw.com/~posterkid/keys/>
PGP fingerprint: 42 57 B3 D2 39 8E 74 C3  5E 4D AC 43 25 D2 26 D4