Re: lynx-dev lynx 2.8.2dev.4 vs my.yahoo.comrqr

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx 2.8.2dev.4 vs my.yahoo.comrqr
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 13:44:57 -0500 (EST)

> I do hope all these problems that Larry V. is finding get
> fixed in the configure etc, and NOT just by some instructions
> "for Solaris get this, and this, and be sure to do this, and
> that, hand hack these lines in the makefile, etc, etc" --

Yes - that's the general rule.  I do add special ifdef's for the places
where I cannot make configure-tests (non-Unix platforms such as VMS).

For the varargs/stdarg differences, it had been a while since I'd coded
that (since all of the other programs that I had as a model I'd converted
to stdarg a couple of years ago).  For whatever reason, I made an error in
the varargs case (unlike stdarg, the called function must start processing
the argument list from the beginning).

> hopefully so that making on solaris is FULLY AUTOMATIC.

> I myself am simply WAITING until Larry, by his emails to
> the list, seems satisfied, BEFORE I go re-download a fresh &
> fixed version and try it on MY sparc/solaris.
>
> Seeing so many problems from larry, I haven't even TRIED
> to compile the version I downloaded two weeks ago...
>
> --- re "prefix":
>
> By the way, like lots of people, I will have to use "prefix="
> somewhere, since, like with lots of people, I followed sun's
> (implicit) instructions and made all these various file-systems,
> and now there's not enough room to install anything on /usr/local.

when I test the prefix stuff, I usually install into /tmp/BUILD, and
check that it works properly from that location.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden