Re: lynx-dev bzip2 compressed files (was Re: NLS tweaks for 282dev4)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev bzip2 compressed files (was Re: NLS tweaks for 282dev4)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 06:50:15 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:

> Anyway, bzip2 has made tremendous strides since this discussion began
> over a year ago.  With the speed of decompression bzip2 has achieved, I
> strongly urge that Lynx be modified to properly handle bzip2-compressed
> files.  The appended patch, granted not done in decent programming style,
> will allow that support for http-served files.  (Thanks to Bela!)

I think that code should be #ifdef'd, since we cannot expect everyone
to have bzip2.  (We seem to be making that assumption about gzip.)

> !         if (!strcasecomp(anchor->content_encoding, "x-bzip2") ||
> !             !strcasecomp(anchor->content_encoding, "bzip")) {

Do you mean "bzip2" here?  Or do we need all four of "bzip", "x-bzip",
"bzip2", and "x-bzip2"?

Does anyone volunteer to officially register one of the forms, or at
least ask the author about it?  It probably would require writing an RFC,
but then at least everyone could know what to put in a Content-Encoding
header and what to expect there...

     Klaus