Re: lynx-dev Please help me!

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Please help me!
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 00:11:56 +0300 (MSK)

> address@hidden said:
>> ello, All developers of lynx:   i am  a chinese computer programer,
>> now i read your source code of lynx and want learn something from
>> it, but i meet many problem, one is there are too many states in the
>> function SGML_character() (--in SGML.c file) , i can't get all their
>> means, if you can give me more detail of these states, you will help
>> me more

> I don't think anybody has a list of details of SGML_character(), but
> maybe it will help if you understand the general structure of the
> program.

> In Lynx - as in other applications using libWWW - data may come from
> many different sources. A few of the possible sources are: a local
> disk file, a HTTP server, a FTP server and a Gopher server.

You may look also a newer version of libwww (5.2) at
http://www.w3.org/Library/User/
it is very nice documented.
Of cause, lynx use libwww 2.14 heavy altered, so expect a great difference
but general structure have a common genesis.

>> another problem is i can not understand how you deal with Unicode,
>> it seems very complex and difficult, could you explain it for me.

Lynx store data in bytes, basically unicodes like { and &nbsp
converted to bytes (in display's current_char_set) inside SGML.c
Multibyte chars (CJK, UTF-8) handled differently, I do not know details.