lynx-dev Altavista via VAX "shell" account Lynx (was: [no subject at all

From: David Woolley
Subject: lynx-dev Altavista via VAX "shell" account Lynx (was: [no subject at all])
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 08:55:07 +0000 (GMT)

> hi--i can access the internet (with my 386 dos computer and kermit)by

A 386 (even SX) with 2MB of memory should run the DOS port of Lynx.

A 386 (even SX) with 4MB of memory definitely will run the Linux port.
(It would thrash badly in 2MB, but it might still be useable if you
were careful to construct a very clean configuration.)

You will need someone to provide PPP access to you.

> dialing into my university's mainframe and logging on to the VAX system
> there.  my question is this: from the vax, using lynx, can i read my
> email from my email account with altavista?  or do i have to get onto a
> p.c. that has web-based internet access?  the issue is: i have the

You probably need the VAX Lynx updating to a current version (2.8.1ish);
you didn't say what the current version was.

Written using a 386 SX/25, with 6MB, running Linux.