lynx-dev fwd: ...translations

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: lynx-dev fwd: ...translations
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 09:51:58 -0500

I received the attached email from Francois and wanted to let the
Lynx-dev team know where we are. When Francois has the time, he will
help organize translation teams for Lynx support. In the meantime, I
will be looking at the newer gettext code he has referenced to see where
the template files could be improved.

------
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
You realise this is going to be a complete waste of time don't you?
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: Lynx translations Date: 25 Nov 1998 18:04:38 -0500 User-agent: Gnus/5.070051 (Pterodactyl Gnus v0.51) Emacs/20.3
"Webmaster Jim" <address@hidden> writes:

> I have sent a couple recent messages about our work to include
> translations in the Lynx web browser program.  I haven't heard back,
> and was beginning to wonder if I had done something wrong.  If you are
> swamped, I understand...

I have both of them.  Yes, I'm a bit swamped, it happens sometimes.
And surely yes, I'm interested in collaborating in a Lynx translation effort,
by getting the translation project teams and mechanics to handle them.

When under load like nowadays, I work on projects kind of round-robin,
doing a burst on each of them, and usually visit the translation project
twice a month.  But when the stress is less high, I usually succeed to
handle email just as it arrives.  Don't despair! :-)

If you allow me a very quick comment, before returning to your emails
for real, I noticed that the POT files were created using an old verison
of `gettext', version 0.10 probably.  The header entry format changed
significantly since then, and this created problems more than once.
Ideally, a new release of the `gettext' package should occur, but the
maintainer is overwhelmed as well, and we have to cope with the interim.

Oops, I have to leave right now...  More later.
[...]
Sorry for the interruption.  I'm now back.

I just wanted to add that my intent is to write some script to transform
oldish headers into the current format.  In fact, I once wrote such a thing,
and used it to convert all PO files in the translation project archives, and
later threw the script away, after not having seen old headers for a while.
Strangely enough, recently, a few projects are publishing POT files with the
old `gettext', so I should rewrite the script and do what should be done with
these recent POT/PO files, instead of overly bothering maintainers about it.

Yet in the long run (or more precisely, in the meantime waiting for a new
official release of `gettext'), best would be to use the following instead:

   http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/gettext-0.10.35.tar.gz

OK!  I'll be back to you in a few days at most, regarding your emails.

                                        Keep happy!

--
François Pinard                            mailto:address@hidden
Join the free Translation Project!    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard