lynx-dev proposed revisions for gettext (I)

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: lynx-dev proposed revisions for gettext (I)
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 23:09:14 +0900 (JST)

In the weeks (months?) to come, I hope to go through all of the
gettext calls and look at:
        1) Does this string really need to be translated?  Might
           it better convey its meaning in the original English?
           Is it worth being translated (especially when there is
           only one or two calls in the whole file).
        2) How is the English itself?  Is the meaning clear?  Is
           there a more economical way to say it?
        3) Could similar strings be simply stated in exactly the
           same way so that we can have one "msgid"?  Also, when
           the string is found in more than one file, let's make
           it a define in LYMessages.
        4) Has this string been cut or divided in such a way that
           English syntax is being forced, i.e., does the translator
           have enough working room?

I hope there will be active discussion and input from the list, both
from the view of the changes made to the original English string or
page format, and from the point of view of native users of all the
different languages who will be doing translations.

The first patch in the series is to INSTALLATION.  I consider it only
temporary until the whole NLS thing gels more.

__Henry

*** lynx2-8-2/INSTALLATION.orig Sat Nov 28 20:11:45 1998
--- lynx2-8-2/INSTALLATION      Sat Nov 28 20:17:20 1998
***************
*** 24,33 ****
      you may set them at run-time if you wish.  If you compile using auto-
      configure, you would not absolutely need to edit "userdefs.h".  Check
      LYMessages_en.h for tailoring the Lynx statusline prompts, messages and
!     warnings to the requirements of your site.  The strings in LYMessages_en.h
!     may be translated into a language of your choice.  If you rename the file,
!     be sure to change the definition in "userdefs.h".
!
  Step 2. (define run-time variables -- See the lynx.cfg file for details.)
      Set up local printers, downloaders, assumed character set, key mapping,
      and colors in the lynx.cfg file.  Please read "lynx.cfg" thoroughly as
      you may set them at run-time if you wish.  If you compile using auto-
      configure, you would not absolutely need to edit "userdefs.h".  Check
      LYMessages_en.h for tailoring the Lynx statusline prompts, messages and
!     warnings to the requirements of your site.  Lynx implements Native
!     Language Support.  Read "ABOUT-NLS" if you are interested in building an
!     international version of Lynx.
!