lynx-dev Possible bug with link numbering

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: lynx-dev Possible bug with link numbering
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 16:26:42 -0800 (PST)

While attempting to investigate a recent complaint on the list about
hotmail, I noticed an anomaly in regard to link numbering, in that
links that were numbered on the screen (with links and form fields
numbered) could not be reached with arrow keys, and could not be
reached with the number + "g" command. I am attaching the print to
file of the main screen at "http://www.hotmail.com";. Links number
1 and 5 to "spacer.gif" were not included in the numbering for the
"g" command. The commmand "20g" puts the cursor on link 22 on the
screen. It appears that screen links 1 and 5 aren't counted when the
"g" command is counting, but are when the screen is numbered. I tried
looking at the source to the html, but didn't see the problem. This is
with lynx2.8.2dev.6 running on SunOS 4.1.3_U1, set with VERBOSE_IMAGES
TRUE. I compiled with gcc and slang. Perhaps someone can see where the
numbering logic diverges.

The file "spacer.gif" does exist, and can be reached with the URL on
lynx's command line.
                             Doug

   [1]-
   [2][MSN Hotmail Logo]
   [3]The World's FREE Web-Based Email
   Free Email ( Electronic Mail ) on the Internet
   using your Web Browser.
   [4]Registered Users
   [5]-
   [6]Login Name:   [7]Password:
   [11](_) [12]Frames [13](_) [14]No Frames [15](_) [16]Use my Default
   [17]Forgot Your Password?-[18][home_do_passwdret.gif]
   [19][ISMAP:home_do_map.gif]-[20]Learn More About
   Hotmail-[21][home_do_map.gif]
   No software. No configuration other
   than optional one-time POP Mail setup.

   [22]Copyright 1996-1998