Re: lynx-dev STMPhost not defined

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev STMPhost not defined
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 12:12:15 +0000 (GMT)

> How do i define the SMTPhost. I got this address from

Depends on what operating system and which version of Lynx you are using.

In particular, Unix, and VMS versions of Lynx use the operating system's
mail sending facilities, so don't need to know the SMTP Host themselves.

The string SMTP doesn't occur anywhere in the Linux binaries for Lynx
2.7.2, and only occurs in the source with reference to blocking
attempts to do things like:  http://somesite:25/

The last version of Win32 Lynx that I configured for mail, used a third
party mail sending program, called sendmail (although unrelated to
the one from sendmail.org).  The command line parameters for that were
specified in lynx.cfg and there were comments explaining how to do it.
As I don't know which version you are using, I don't know exactly how
mail is handled on yours.

The SMTP Host value should be supplied by your service provider.
Unfortunately the mailing list strips the headers needed to deduce
this remotely, although even then the official one may differ from the
apparent one.

If you can get someone to send back the **full** headers from something
you have sent, the last Received line will probably have the correct value
in the by clause, and the next to last one may have it in the from clause.
If these don't match something approriate sounding in your current mail
client, you need to talk to your ISP's support desk.

PS Congratulations on using an informative subject.