Re: lynx-dev Lynx and metamail (was: Passing internal data to external h

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx and metamail (was: Passing internal data to external handlers)
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 22:17:07 -0700 (MST)

In a recent note, Klaus Weide said:

> Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 22:15:15 -0600 (CST)

    [ ... ]

Thanks for the several pointers.

> Rather than having full metamail behavior, I would be more interested in
> having lynx parse the mailcap files as described in the metamail man page
> (and probably the relevant RFC), with correct substitutions for %s, %t,
> and %{...}.  They should also be substituted in the test string.  That
> would mean that Lynx may have to run the tests many times, instead of
> just once at startup.  (The newer libwww treats Presenters that way.)

I'm a modularity partisan; Lynx shouldn't attempt that which metamail
already does.  And there are subtleties which may not even be resolved
by the documentation.  For example, I've noticed that the behavior of
Lynx differs from metamail when multiple tests succeed -- one takes
the earlier rule; the other the later (I forget which).

-- gil