Re: lynx-dev Lynx and metamail (was: Passing internal data to external h

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx and metamail (was: Passing internal data to external handlers)
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 05:16:15 -0500 (EST)

> Rather than having full metamail behavior, I would be more interested in
> having lynx parse the mailcap files as described in the metamail man page
> (and probably the relevant RFC), with correct substitutions for %s, %t,
> and %{...}.  They should also be substituted in the test string.  That
> would mean that Lynx may have to run the tests many times, instead of
> just once at startup.  (The newer libwww treats Presenters that way.)

a better solution would be to cache some of the information - one of
the longstanding Debian bug reports is that Lynx runs a lot of tests
unnecessarily at initialization time solely to determine if the tests
might succeed at some later time.

also, the substitutions are incomplete (the "%{" ones for example, are
not implemented).

sounds like a good project for someone...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden