Re: lynx-dev proposed revisions for gettext (II)

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: lynx-dev proposed revisions for gettext (II)
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 15:23:11 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:

> The present format of the P)rint option page has the exact same message
> "Print options" displayed _three_ times. If my modifications are too
> verbose, then I would propose that that particular string be removed
> completely just above the listing in advanced user mode, as is the "Local
> additions" message below.

I support your proposition and I suggest also removing the TITLE from the
Print, Download and Options(forms) menus, and from the List, History and
Visited Links pages. Those can't be bookmarked anyway. Well, the
Options(forms) menu can be bookmarked but I think it's just something that
was forgotten when it was created. By the way, when we quit the
Options(forms) menu, the previous page is always reloaded even if nothing
was chaged. That's annoying.

> Perhaps you, yes.  We still do get questions about the difference between
> "print" and "download" on the list. I know many of my students don't
> realize a difference between the two. I thought rather than parrot
> "options" another time, I'd give at least a hint of what was going to
> happen if they hit the enter key on one of the options.

What about telling them to read the help files, which are one keystroke
from them? The Download and Print options are explained there.

> Actually, I never much cared for the whole idea of these two strings
> "Print options" and "Local additions", even in Novice mode. If there is
> agreement here, I'll make another proposal and provide the patch to show
> these two only in Novice mode, which means in Intermediate and Advanced,
> you'll just get a list. Okay?

OK.

> That would be neat.  A Latinized Lynx!

I was giving it just as an example of a language that doesn't necessarily
use just an "s" for plural forms, but it's possible to have a Latin version
of Lynx. Have you never seen comics in Latin? There are many in Europe.

Ismael

       | ISMAEL CORDEIRO            | mailto:address@hidden      |
       | Production sound mixer     | http://www.ismael.cordeiro.com/ |
       | Montréal - Québec - Canada | ftp://ftp.cam.org/users/ismael/ |