Re: lynx-dev envir't variables (was passing data)

From: Heather Stern
Subject: Re: lynx-dev envir't variables (was passing data)
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 08:41:11 -0800 (PST)

I ate the fortune cookie first, then read what Philip Webb wrote:
> 981130 Larry Virden wrote:
> > Here is at least a preliminary list of the environment variables.
> > I got these from grepping.  Perhaps someone with this list can begin
> > looking them up and figuring out what they do...
> -- list largely snipped --
>
> excellent: we all owe you some thanks!
> what did you grep for?  how preliminary is your list?
>
> > USER
> > WINTCP_COMMAND_STYLE
> > WWW_HOME
> > ftp_proxy
> > lynx_cfg
> > lynx_lss
> > no_proxy
>
> is there any difference to be attached to the upper/lower-cases?

yes, definitely... as behaving on multiple Linux boxes (red hat, SuSE)
http_proxy, ftp_proxy, and gopher_proxy only apply if used as lower case.

However, I wouldn't believe that they are *all* case sensitive unless
the code was checked or I really experimented with each.

->+<-  Heather Stern   Starshine Technical Services   address@hidden

  You can do this in a number of ways.  IBM chose to do all of them.
  Why do you find that funny?
                -- D. Taylor, Computer Science 350