Re: lynx-dev INSTALLATION error

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev INSTALLATION error
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 12:06:41 +0900 (JST)

> Apart from that documentation change:  Does anyone still use WAIS access?
> I.e. wais://... URLs, not WAIS hidden being some other interface like
> http://...?  Are there any remaining publicly accessible wais://...
> resources for testing?

I'd like to hear responses to this WRT gettext, too.

Appended below is a patch to fix the immediate problem.  Maybe we should
eventually take the whole paragraph out?

__Henry

*** lynx2-8-2/INSTALLATION.orig Wed Dec  2 11:48:14 1998
--- lynx2-8-2/INSTALLATION      Wed Dec  2 12:05:01 1998
***************
*** 61,74 ****
      for appending to posted messages.

  Step 5. (optional -- UNIX only)
!     To add direct WAIS support, get the freeWAIS distribution from
!     "ftp://ftp.cnidr.org/pub/NIDR.tools/freewais";, and compile it.  The
compile
!     process will create the libraries you will need, wais.a and client.a.
Edit
!     the Makefile in the top level directory and add the library locations
under
!     the DIRECT WAIS ACCESS heading.  Edit the Makefile for the WWW Library in
!     "WWW/Library/Implementation/CommonMakefile" to point to the include
!     directory for the freewais distribution.  Precompiled libraries are
!     available for many platforms if you don't wish to compile one yourself.

  Step 6. (Anonymous account -- VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! -- )
      If you are building Lynx for your personal use only you may skip this
--- 61,71 ----
      for appending to posted messages.

  Step 5. (optional -- UNIX only)
!     To add direct WAIS support, get and build the freeWAIS distribution from
!     "ftp://ftp.cnidr.org/pub/NIDR.tools/freewais";.  The compile process will
!     create the libraries you need, wais.a and client.a.  If you use autoconf,
!     set, as needed, the CPPFLAGS (full path to include files) and LIBS (full
!     path to library files) environment variables before running configure.

  Step 6. (Anonymous account -- VERY IMPORTANT!!!!! -- )
      If you are building Lynx for your personal use only you may skip this
*** 929,932 ****
     Thanks to the many volunteers who offered suggestions for making this
     installation manual as accurate and complete as possible.

! -- 1998/01/22 - H. Nelson <address@hidden>
--- 926,929 ----

! -- 1998/12/02 - H. Nelson <address@hidden>