Re: lynx-dev Setting homepage in Lynx

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Setting homepage in Lynx
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 98 15:15:05 EST

On Thu, 03 Dec 1998 14:31:31 -0500,
Holzworth, Grant M.  <address@hidden> wrote:

>Lloyd:
>
>Thanks for the reply.  It didn't work.  I have this line in the lynx.cfg file:
>
>STARTFILE:file://localhost/C:/coolbook/coolbook.htm
>
>I'm still getting the 404 not found error.  After that error Lynx starts up
>with the "www.mp3.com" link on the page.
>
>The cfg file is located in the same directory as lynx.exe and lynx.bat.
>
>Here is what is in my lynx.bat file:
>@ECHO OFF
>set term=vt100
>set home=d:\program files\lynx
>set temp=d:\program files\lynx\temp
>set lynx_cfg=d:\program files\lynx\lynx.cfg
>d:\program files\lynx\lynx.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
>
>It looks as though Lynx is not looking at either the cfg or bat file.  It
>seems to be looking somewhere else (ie why I'm getting the 404 not found
>error).

Make sure the temp directory which you are pointing to really exists.
Move the batch file to someplace on your path, so a simple Run command
can run it; it could even be on the C: drive if you wished.  I would
recommend that the batch file change into the drive and the directory
which houses Lynx by including lines like
  d:
  cd \"program files"\lynx
  I don't know if the quotes are necessary, but they wouldn't hurt,
especially in Win95.

I don't have NT, but I do run Lynx in Windows 95 with a screen reading program
called Vocal-Eyes and a speech synthesizer.

>Also, where is this "Command Line" that keeps popping up in the
>documentation?  Is it the command line in the bat file or the cfg file (or
>neither?)?

In your case it would be the command line in the batch file.  Lynx
does use the % parameters. Since Lynx is ported from Unix, it can be
helpful, for commands which will be interpreted by Lynx and not by
Windows, to use dashes for switches and slashes in path names.

If you do succeed in getting Lynx running, try and go to "."  which
is your current directory.  You can navigate all over that drive
from there and bookmark the interesting files you find.  This will
show you how Lynx wants local file URLs presented on your system.

-- Lloyd Rasmussen
Senior Staff Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the  Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress          202-707-0535
(work)       address@hidden    http://www.loc.gov/nls/
(home) address@hidden http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/lras/