Re: lynx-dev leaks (was: bug: print vs partial)

From: brian j. pardy
Subject: Re: lynx-dev leaks (was: bug: print vs partial)
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 19:57:03 -0800

On Thu, Dec 03, 1998, address@hidden wrote:
> > On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Klaus Weide wrote:
> > > On Thu, 3 Dec 1998 address@hidden wrote:
> > > [LP:]

> > There are indeed non-permanent leaks in the cookie code. I remember seeing
> > a couple during my last compile with --enable-find-leaks, and I fixed a
> > few.
>
> but as I said 'mostly': LP wanted to apply the fix for UCdomap.c (to 2.8.1),
> (which I found was a permanent leak).

Is this a permanent one?

Memory leak detected.
Pointer:        0x8167ac0
Contains::      <h1>Lynx (2.8.2dev.8), help on <a href="file://loc
ByteSize:       297
FileName:       ../../../WWW/Library/Implementation/HTString.c
LineCount:      349

Simply starting Lynx and viewing the cookie jar page seems to leak about
30k (I have a lot of cookies when I start up).

I'm not sure exactly how to go about determining if a leak is permanent or
non-permanent, and looking back through the cookie code, the leaks I was
thinking of before seem to not be a problem. I think they are simply the
domain entries for each domain, which are still used (if I free them, we
get empty cookies during runtime). These leaks are:

Memory leak detected.
Pointer:        0x81589f0
Contains::      ||||||||||||
ByteSize:       12
FileName:       ./LYCookie.c
LineCount:      402

Memory leak detected.
Pointer:        0x8148110
Contains::      ||||||||||||
ByteSize:       12
FileName:       ./LYCookie.c
LineCount:      2575

Memory leak detected.
Pointer:        0x8147bc0
Contains::      ||||||||||||
ByteSize:       12
FileName:       ./LYCookie.c
LineCount:      2653

Line 2575 and 2653 are mine, from cookie_add_acceptlist and
cookie_add_rejectlist. It looks like the cookie data itself is already
being properly free'd (is the '|' a NULL in memory?), only the domain_entry
struct (which is 12 bytes) seems to be left at exit. It would indeed look
cleaner to have this cleaned out, but I don't think it's a problem.

Another leak at:

Memory leak detected.
Pointer:        0x81381e0
Contains::      LYNX_VERSION=2.8.2dev.8|
ByteSize:       24
FileName:       ./LYMain.c
LineCount:      754
realloced:      ./LYMain.c
LineCount:      755

--
"...and the fully armed nuclear warheads, are, of course, merely a
courtesy detail."