Re: lynx-dev Spacing cleanups and nits

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Spacing cleanups and nits
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 09:46:48 -0500

On Sat, Dec 05, 1998 at 01:38:23AM -0800, brian j. pardy wrote:
> Finding myself overcome by insomnia, I decided to sit down and do
> something I had been meaning to for a while, and fix some of my spacing
> errors -- I never remember to put two spaces after the end of a sentence.
>
> I didn't touch the various .po files, being unsure how those should be
> handled to keep them in sync with the translators that are at work.  The
> majority of the patches are nothing more than two-space nits, but there
> are also two places where LYCookie.c is incorrectly called LYCookies.c in
> CHANGES.

It's good that you got this out of your system now before a lot of
translators have worked on our project ;-) The "po" files are generated
by auto-magically (I guess I should document that so others can maintain
it).

> I did change some gettext()'d lines, but the large majority is in
> comments.

Consistency is good. Changing existing gettext strings may invalidate
prior translation work, but other than Henry's Japanese, I'm not
aware of a complete translation done for Lynx. In a few weeks, the
Free Translation Project will take our code and farm it out to their
volunteers. I'd like to clean up my "po" work before that.

FWIW, the "par" program that I use to format email into ~72 column text
puts one space a period.

------
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
A brain the size of a planet, and what do I get?