Re: lynx-dev Show Cursor Feature

From: Suleman Currim
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Show Cursor Feature
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 08:55:00 -0500 (EST)

                        December 5, 1998

Hello!

     I sincerely thank all who responded to my query concerning
activating the "show cursor" feature on Lynx.  Even though I am
not a subscriber to the mailing list, your valuable suggestions
have reached me by email.

     Since posting the inquiry, I have learned that my Internet
service provider's system carries Lynx version 2.7.1f.  Its
options menu has no provision for activation of the "show cursor"
feature.  Therefore, I tried the many suggestions offered in
messages I read.

     In the options menu, when I tried to type "show_cursor:true"
(without the quotation marks), immediately upon my typing the
letter "s" the system sought to change the Lynx character set.

     Beginning the command with a hyphen ("-") also did nothing
about "show cursor".

     I then tried using the following sequence:

                       @ SPACEBAR ENTER >

     Typing that sequence brought the system message:  "Value
accepted", but without any mention of "show cursor".

     Thereafter, when I typed words in Altavista and other WWW
search engines, the screen response seemed to be a little less
confusing.  Presumably, I have now activated the "show Cursor"
feature on my system's Lynx, but I have no way of knowing for
sure.

     I have read somewhere that although a system may offer Lynx,
"show cursor" may not necessarily be available on the browser.  I
have inquired about this with my system's technical help service,
and am awaiting a response.

     A fundamental point still remains unclear to me:  Exactly
how does Lynx become easier for a blind person to use with "show
cursor" activated?  In other words, what are the practical
benefits of activating "show cursor"?

          My thanks again for the generous help from all
respondents to my initial query.  I would welcome further email
tips and tricks on how to use Lynx more efficiently with a speech
output program.

                            Regards,

                         Suleman Currim

                    Email:  address@hidden