Re: lynx-dev [2.8.2dev.8] Env var data for PRINTER: pgms (w/man page

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev [2.8.2dev.8] Env var data for PRINTER: pgms (w/man page entries)
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 15:20:39 +0300 (MSK)

> I've also made a first attempt at adding an ENVIRONMENT section to the
> man page.
which is in parallel to lynx.hlp

> +
> +             StrAllocCopy(envbuffer, newdoc->address);
such a things may be a problem on DOS where the space for environment variables
limited ("Out of environment space").

> diff -uNr lynx-2.8.2-dev.8.orig/lynx.man lynx-2.8.2-dev.8+kd/lynx.man
> --- lynx-2.8.2-dev.8.orig/lynx.man    Tue Oct 27 18:08:12 1998
> +++ lynx-2.8.2-dev.8+kd/lynx.man      Sat Dec  5 19:01:31 1998

> +.B PROTOCOL_proxy
> +\fILynx\fR supports the use of proxy servers that can act as firewall
> +gateways and caching servers.  They are preferable to the older gateway
> +servers (see WWW_access_GATEWAY, below).  Each protocol used by \fILynx\fR
> +can be mapped separately using PROTOCOL_proxy environment variables of
> +the form: 'http_proxy "http://some.server.dom:port/";'.
> +See the \fBINSTALLATION\fR file in the \fILynx\fR distribution for details,
> +and examples.

I see a logical hole here:
INSTALLATION file written very clear but it is not supplied even within
"extra documentation files" (install-doc), supposed for compilation process
only. While the environment variables info useful at run time and it is
a bad idea to force user to download lynx sources to read about environments...

Environments info may be a separate page linked from lynx_user_guide.html:
I think it of the same level of complexity as the command-line options list
(currently included in user guide and other docs).

        @echo "Use $(MAKE) install-help to install the help-files"
        @echo "Use $(MAKE) install-doc to install extra documentation files"
        @echo

install-doc : $(docdir)
        @echo Copying sample files
        (cd $(srcdir) && tar cf - C[HO]* PROBLEMS README samples test ) | \
                               ( cd $(docdir) && tar xf - )
        -rm -f $(libdir)/lynx.tmp