Re: lynx-dev page counters

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev page counters
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 22:43:14 +0000 (GMT)

> No, he mean a counter visible for user (client), not a web admin statistics,

I understood that. I was trying to point out that there was no
real advantage to anyone, except possibly an ego boost, in maintaining
an accurate count by this means.

> > ++ Strictly speaking, it should be made to appear non-cacheable to HTTP 1.0
> >    but actually be marked must-revalidate, so that HTTP 1.1 software sends
> >    an If-Modified-Since request, but doesn't require the actual content
> > back.
> and so the HTTP 1.0

I-M-S is new to HTTP 1.1.  It just happens that it is legal to include some
HTTP 1.1 headers in a basically HTTP 1.0 request.  Must revalidate won't
be recognized by any HTTP 1.0 cache that I know.