Re: lynx-dev Lynx2-8-1 bug report

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx2-8-1 bug report
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 18:43:54 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Philip Webb wrote:

> it is long established that  r  doesn't work correctly
> if there is anything unusual about the bookmark file:
> the recommended procedure is to remove bookmarks with a text editor.

I repeat here part of a message I sent to the list a month ago in reply to
one of your messages:

| My bookmarks file is full of "arbitrary HTML markings", as Fote used to
| call them, like <HR>, <ALIGN=CENTER>, <H2>, many <UL></UL> pairs, etc. If
| you want see how it looks like go to
| http://www.ismael.cordeiro.com/links.html
|
| [...]
|
| A problem existed in lynx 2.4 but was corrected with a small modification
| to LYBookmarks.c I submited and that was incorporated into 2.5. Since then
| I have no more problems removing links. If you want to see what it was
| about go to http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/lynx-dev/9602/0142.html
|
| [...]
|
| Deleting links (full lines) with a text editor does no harm. The problem
| is when editing a link. If the person doesn't know what he's doing, weird
| problems may appear. If lynx can't remove a link or removes the wrong
| link, probably the bookmarks file has been incorrectly edited.

> i have never understood why the  r  command hasn't been removed,
> but of course it takes a volunteer to do the necessary work.

And I can't understand why you want to remove the "remove" command just
because sometimes it doesn't work with incorrectly edited bookmarks files!
The "remove" command is very practical and has been correctly working for
more than two years here. If there really is a problem it should be
corrected, not the command removed.

Ismael

       | ISMAEL CORDEIRO            | mailto:address@hidden      |
       | Production sound mixer     | http://www.ismael.cordeiro.com/ |
       | Montréal - Québec - Canada | ftp://ftp.cam.org/users/ismael/ |