Re: lynx-dev Spacing cleanups and nits

From: Chuck Martin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Spacing cleanups and nits
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 16:35:07 -0500

On Thu, Dec 10, 1998 at 10:17:49AM -0800, David Combs wrote:

> The reason to place TWO spaces after a sentence-ending-char (period,
> bang, question-mark, etc) is that many EDITORS -- emacs for sure, maybe
> also vi, not sure there) use that as a way of knowing WHERE a sentence
> ENDS, so their commands "go fwd one sentence" can work.

Yes, vi does that too.

> Also, two spaces is EASIER TO READ, when your eyes are scanning
> fast, in the source-text, eg when fixing or adding to the doc.

That's even true at my normal reading speed.  Especially if a sentence
ends with an abbreviation, in which case a single space often causes
me to read past the period as if the sentence hasn't finished yet, until
my brain stops me and says, "That didn't make sense," and then I have to
backtrack and read it again.

> Just my two bits.  Am sure no one will agree.  Oh, well...

I agree completely.  One thing I've noticed about lynx that I wish was
done differently is that rendered documents don't put two spaces after a
period at the end of a sentence even if they're present in the source.
It seems to me that more than one space after a period should be
collapsed to *two* spaces instead of one.  Also, a period followed by
whitespace (including newlines) and then an uppercase letter should be
assumed to be the end of a sentence, and two spaces placed at that
point if the uppercase letter ends up on the same line in the rendered
document.

Chuck