Re: lynx-dev Lynx doesn't keep References when following up to news

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx doesn't keep References when following up to news
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 08:55:54 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Chris Maden wrote:

> For a number of reasons (somewhat long), I was using Lynx to post to a
> newsgroup.  It's actually quite comfortable and pleasant to use.
> However, another poster complained that I didn't have any References:
> header and was destroying threading.  As a workaround, I copied the
> references and message ID of the message to which I was replying, but
> that's cumbersome.
>
> Lynx correctly interprets message IDs and references in the posts it
> reads; it would be great if it generated a correctly-formed References
> header for inclusion in followup posts.

Yes, it would certainly be an improvement; are you willing to work
on it? :)

The "Followup to:" link generated by lynx looks like
to implement what you want would be to extent the syntax of the
newsreply: URL scheme (it's nonstandard anyway) so that it includes
the reference Message-ID(s), and use this extended syntax when the
link is generated.

A less general way would be to assume that a newsreply: is always
invoked from the document we are replying to (i.e. we can access
it as HTMainText/ HTMainAnchor; the "include the original message"
option makes the same assumption), and have the reference Message-ID(s)
somehow stored in HTMainText/ HTMainAnchor.

Both would require changes at least in HTNews.c (for parsing Message-Id
and possibly References headers and storing the contents somewhere) and
in LYNews.c.

Would one References header be an improvement over no References header?
It gets more complicated if you want ot keep existing references headers
in the message, you should limit the total number somehow.

    Klaus