Re: lynx-dev Hotmail problem

From: Alan J. Flavell
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Hotmail problem
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 00:06:08 +0000 (GMT)

Please excuse the alfresco intrusion from a non-subscriber.

"David Rovinsky" <address@hidden>  writes:

> So whatever the problem is, it has been addressed no later than
> 2.8, so there's nothing that developers would need to do here.
> Still, I'd be curious to know what's causing 2.6 and 2.7 not to
> connect...

When this question came up on usenet a week or so back, my guess was
that Hotmail were sending a content-type with a charset specifying
a Windows character encoding.

That would fit the version numbers, at least.  _Very_ old versions of
Lynx would, I think, have been upset to see any charset attribute at
all on a content-type header.  _These_ versions (2.6 and 2.7) would
definitely have accepted there being a charset attribute as such, but
would have refused to support the windows charset encodings.  That was
introduced in 2.8, according to the Changes files.  And Lynx's
reaction to an unsupported charset would be to propose the "download
or cancel" actions.

However, that _should_ be obvious from the prompt.  I don't have an
old version of Lynx to hand, but I just tried accessing a test page of
my own (my test page was in windows-1251 code) via the public lynx
server at sailor.lib.md.us (2.7.1-something) and got this prompt:

text/html;charset=windows-1251  D)ownload, or C)ancel

If my hunch was right, then the Hotmail problem would have announced
something similar to that.  But it's only a guess.