Lynx under cygwin32 (was: Re: lynx-dev Win32 & SSL)

From: Benjamin C. W. Sittler
Subject: Lynx under cygwin32 (was: Re: lynx-dev Win32 & SSL)
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 00:46:18 -0700

address@hidden wrote:

> [...]
                       ^_ guess I forgot to spell-check...

> > > If you can, please submit a patch for allowing cygwin compilation.
> > > I think that you are the only person to say recently that you were
> > > able to get a working lynx via cygwin. Previous people compiling with
> > > cygwin were never willing to give the details to the list. Did you
> > > actually use cygwin or mingw32?
> >
> > I used cygwin, not mingw32. I used ncurses. I'll build the latest devel
> > version tonight or tomorrow and send the diffs. I'd like to see what's new
> > :) Oh yes, I'm using Cygnus GNU-Win32 B19, not B20. I hear there are
> > significant differences in the newer release, but I haven't tried it.

> I've looked at b19 a few times, but seem to be the only person who finds
> it a little unreliable.  (I installed a copy on one of my machines each
> at home and work to do some test-compiles).  Perhaps b20 will be more
> interesting.

Well, B19 is buggy under Win95, in my experience. It seems to lock the
machine up from time to time. But it's quite solid under WinNT.

Anyhow, here's a summary of what it took to install ncurses and Lynx
under Cygnus GNU-Win32 B19:

HOW TO BUILD NCURSES AND LYNX UNDER CYGNUS GNU-WIN32

I decided to try out the latest devel version, so I got lynx-cur.tgz
from lynx.browser.org. I didn't check to see if there's a newer
ncurses, because I don't want to change two packages simultaneously. I
did re-install ncurses, though, just to show how I I did re-install
ncurses, though, just to show how I did it the first time.

First, a rant: the configure script really needs a command-line option
to set PROG_EXT. This is likely to be non-empty on systems totally
unknown to the maintainers of autoconf. For example, djgpp may someday
be able to run configure scripts. We don't want to tell autoconf about
this yet, because it doesn't work yet. The easiest solution I see is
to add a parameter to the configure script, so you could do the
following:

./configure --program-extension=.exe

Barring that, however, the 'port' was completely painless.

NCURSES

To build and install ncurses 4.2, I did the following:

cd /tmp
tar -xzvf //capella/archives/prog/ncurse42.tgz
cd ncurses-4.2
# edit 'configure' to set 'PROG_EXT=.exe' on cygwin32 systems.
./configure --prefix=/Cygnus/B19 --enable-overwrite \
            --enable-big-core --enable-termcap
make
make install

Here are the changes I made to the ncurses configure script:

*** configure.old       Sat Dec 12 22:28:23 1998
--- configure   Sat Dec 12 22:29:22 1998
***************
*** 3611,3616 ****
--- 3611,3619 ----
      LDFLAGS=`echo "$LDFLAGS -Zmt -Zcrtdll" | sed "s/-Zexe//g"`
      PROG_EXT=".exe"
      ;;
+ cygwin32)
+     PROG_EXT=".exe"
+     ;;
  esac

LYNX

To build and install the current version of Lynx, I did the following:

cd /tmp
tar -xzvf //capella/archives/prog/lynx-cur.tgz
cd lynx2-8-2
# edit 'configure' to set 'PROG_EXT=.exe' on cygwin32 systems.
./configure --prefix=/Cygnus/B19 --disable-full-paths \
            --with-screen=ncurses -enable-color-style --enable-nsl-fork
make
make install
make install-help install-doc

Here are the changes I made to the Lynx configure script:

*** configure.old       Sat Dec 12 21:57:36 1998
--- configure   Sat Dec 12 22:00:03 1998
***************
*** 4666,4671 ****
--- 4666,4674 ----
        LDFLAGS=`echo "$LDFLAGS -Zmt -Zcrtdll" | sed "s/-Zexe//g"`
        PROG_EXT=".exe"
        ;;
+ cygwin32)
+       PROG_EXT=".exe"
  osf4*)
        # The -Olimit flag (see below) is no longer available with
        # Digital C 5.2, which is bundled with Digital UNIX 4.0.

USING LYNX

I had to set the TERM environment variable to something sensible. I've
been using TERM=pcansi for some time under cygwin32, and it seems to
work ok.

I type 'lynx' now and I get a working web browser which will run
full-screen in 80x50-character text mode. It's great!