lynx-dev Slow startup due to mailcap processing [patch]

From: Marc Huber
Subject: lynx-dev Slow startup due to mailcap processing [patch]
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 15:09:58 +0100

On startup, lynx evaluates the test commands specified in
the mailcap file. There are some optimizations for specific
test command strings in HTInit.c:PassesTest(), but there's
still a high chance for a system() call being placed.

On my machine (Debian Linux/Slink), a vanilla lynx calls
system() 74 times. However, a closer inspection of the
mailcap file reveales that there are just a few distinct
test commands.

It's rather trivial to execute each test only once and to
remember its result. The patch attached to this mail adds
this facility to HTInit.c (reducing the number of system()
calls on my machine to 5 :-). The diff is against 2.8.1
but should apply cleanly against 2.8.2dev9.

Kind regards,

  Marc

[I've subscribed to lynx-dev, but haven't received any
subscription confirmation yet -- carbon copies of replies
are appreciated ...]
--
address@hidden