Re: lynx-dev Win32 & SSL

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Win32 & SSL
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 09:43:52 +0900 (JST)

> > Also, can someone educate me?  I downloaded what I thought was a
> > whole "cygwin" package and installed it, but I couldn't figure out
> > if it was a Win32 application or a whole new OS environment running
> > on top of
[...]

> Cygwin32 is not a whole new OS environment. At its heart lies
> a library mapping many common UNIX-type calls to their Win32
> equivalents.

Thanks so much. this is what I needed to grasp what it was all about.
Since clicking the Cygnus icon just gave me a unix-like console (bash
shell) I couldn't see the advantage to it over say installing Linux on a
Windows partition, which is fairly easy these days.

> There also exists a port of gcc (mingw32) which generates applications
> which do not require this library.

I really appreciate this because I was misinterpreting the documentation
with regard to "mingw32".  I thought it was a replacement for cygwin32
itself, not just the compiler.  Anyway, mingw32 is definitely the route
for me since I really have no particular interest in cygwin32 other than
a compiler for Win32 while a wait for the school to buy proprietary
software.

Anyway, thanks again.  I hope it wasn't too off topic and others
benefited.

__Henry