lynx-dev Post & Cookies on Command Line

From: markh
Subject: lynx-dev Post & Cookies on Command Line
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 23:33:37 -0500

Hello:

Until recently, a site that I was visiting was using standard http
authentication with the standard means of authenticaion which I was able
to use on the command line with lynx like:

  lynx -auth=username:password http://the.privatesite.net

Actually, what I was really doing was getting the source for certain
pages on the site and then redirecting the output to a local file like:

  lynx -auth=id:pw -source http://the.privatesite.net/xxx.pdf > xxx.pdf

The problem is that the site has now gone to a form-based authentication
which then stores a cookie on my machine for a day. I have confirmed
that I can access the pages using a standard interactive lynx session.
However, I'd like to return the functionality of my ability to grab the
source files and do so from a single command line.  I am aware of the
"-post_data" argument and although that requires sdin commands and I
have been able to get it to work to get me logged in, I cannot seem to
then use it to go anywhere else... the problem seems to be that my
cookie jar is emptied after the command is complete.

Does anyone have any idea about how to do what I want? Is htget the
answer? How?

Thanks in advance.

Mark Hunnibell
address@hidden