Re: lynx-dev another port to add to INSTALLATION

From: Christian Jensen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev another port to add to INSTALLATION
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 20:49:33 -0600

Hello--

Many thanks for your note.

You wrote:
> >981212 Christian Jensen wrote to Henry Nelson:
> >the INSTALLATION file lists a number of operating systems
> >for which lynx has been tested.
> >I can confirm for you that lynx ( 2.7.2 & 2.8rel2 ) will compile
> >cleanly, out of the box, with no source modifications,
> >under NEXTSTEP 3.3, with gcc 2.7.2.3 and curses.
>
> great! thanx for telling us all!
> however, can you try the latest 2-8-1 from
> www.slcc.edu/lynx/release/ or the latest development version from
> sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current ?

Certainly. 2.8.1rel.2 also compiles out of the box. Attempts to
download the dev source resulted in ftp timeouts for some reason. I
will try again later and report the results, though I am confident
everything will go well.

> for those of us who don't know,
> is NEXTSTEP a quite different OS or a version eg of UNIX:
> ie should it be added to the lists in INSTALLATION & at
> lynx.browser.org/ ?

I think it should definitely be added to the lists. NEXTSTEP is a
UNIX flavor: It is/was a product of the now-defunct NeXT Computer
Inc. NEXTSTEP runs a BSD 4.3-based UNIX atop the Mach kernel
developed at Carnegie-Mellon (Avadis Tevanian, one of Mach's
architects, was VP of System Software at NeXT), and a
DisplayPostscript-based GUI runs above it all. NEXTSTEP was replaced
by the OpenStep operating system in 1996 and, following the
aquisition of NeXT by Apple in late '96, will soon be replaced (much
to the regret of many) by Apple's MacOSX.

Best wishes,

--Chris

Chris Jensen
address@hidden
NeXTmail preferred...

"Sacred cows make the best hamburger." --Mark Twain